The Library Card Chronicles

Confessions of a bookworm

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

win some, lose some

It seems to be the trend lately to read a while and then catch up on updating. Better late than never, eh? I got a huge stack of books at the library last week, but only a few of them have been able to hold my interest. The others I have been vacillating back and forth on, a chapter here... a chapter there. Hopefully the next batch will hold more goodies.

Emma's Secret - Barbara Taylor Bradford
This was another one that went back unread. Barbara's books are always very well written, but they are usually too... staid... I guess is the word. I may check it out again when I am in a different frame of mind.

Straight Talking - Jane Green
Okay, this book annoyed the hell out of me for the most part. It was a good book, but it was just too rambling, wishy-washy, whiny and I could not sympathize with the main character at times. I could in theory on the subject, but I suppose it was just that the other stuff got in the way. Maybe it was my mood, I don't know, because here lately all of her books have annoyed me on some level. Bookends was the first novel of hers that I read and it was amazing, and I've been somewhat disappointed by all of the others.

Luck of the Draw - Carolina Garcia-Aguilera
This book was indeed the luck of the draw. It was outstanding! Very well written, very engaging. I shall be checking out all of her other novels ASAP.

The Cure for Death by Lightning - Gail Anderson-Dargatz
I've seen this book many times at the library but had never checked it out. I finally picked it up and am glad that I did. It has some subject matter in it that I am not too fond of reading about (but then who wants to read about horrible reality?) but it was such a great read, and it left the indelible reminder that life happens, it isn't always pretty, but it does go on and you can make it the best it can be. I loved the realism of the book even if it was harsh. It was very evocative of the time yet not stuff that is written about a lot.